Twitter

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Eduvox 1.8

Eduvox

"All my originals ideas are borrowed ideas infused with my creativity & style."

Dear Katie,

As you sift through the deluge of educational opinion and advice on the Internet (including my own), here are some blog posts that I believe deliver practical ideas and/or sound advice from voices other than my own.  Discovered by scavenging through the blogs of people I follow on Twitter (I figure if they post it they would appreciate it being read).  

Enjoy!


TWITTER: @JamesKendra

http://mrksocialstudies.blogspot.com/2014/04/no-shortcuts-in-social-studies-hard.html

I appreciated this post because it served as a reminder that History teachers often need to work hard to convince students there is a relevance to learning our subject matter.  I agree with James, teaching African colonization by using a discussion assured African current event (such as the Ebola outbreak) is more difficult than just waiting for its chapter to pop up in the text book, but definitely brings meaning to the past and present for the student.

TWITTER: @japhillips0722

http://jerodphillips.blogspot.com/2014/01/how.html

This is Jerod's only blog post and it is from January (and probably is only blog posts due to the events in his life that he presents).  However I believe it makes some GREAT POINTS (and with it being his only post, it makes it with an exclamation point).  First, obtaining a degree while working full time (and striving to do both well) as well maintain a strong commitment to your family is difficult but worth it.  Also, in order for anyone, you, a teacher, a student, to take a risk on implementing a new method or procedure, time is needed for brainstorming, processing, and reflection. (He asks himself questions that all teachers face in some form or another). I think society forgets it does take time to "think things through" and only count "physical" implementation as work.  Remember in life, you need to find time to think, and thinking is working.

TWITTER:

http://www.mrmatera.com/2014/01/legocraft-building-the-past-2/

I have a classroom set of iPads and I wanted to move past reading from the textbook I created, Educreations, and Socrative next year.  Apps that I wanted to apply for a grant to get buy and install are Minecraft, SimCity, and Civilization.  My problem was figuring out implementation.  This blog by Mr. Matera gave me some ideas on implementation of Mincecraft.


No comments:

Post a Comment