Twitter

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Back to School Night Part 2

I received a good amount of responses to my blog about Back to School Night (B2SN).  Now as I prepare for my own B2SN, I would love to hear feedback on what you believe should be my approach.

There is a poll on the right side of my blog where you can vote and tell me where I should spend a majority of my time during the 10 minute presentation.  Also, feel free to leave a comment on the blog or my Facebook page (if that is how you wound up here) explaining your answer if you wish.

Here is how I see B2SN:

There are three elements to every B2SN presentation

1. Specifics of the Class- the nuts and bolts of your class.  How do you grade?  How much homework?    What supplies are need for your class? What do you do when your child misses class?  How do you contact me?  What major projects are there in your class?  etc.

2. Big Picture Overview- What do you teach?  Why is your subject important?  What methods and strategies do I use to reach your child?  What do I want your child getting out of my class?

3. Personal Resume- Who is this guy who will be spending time with my child over the next year?  What are your qualifications to teach?   What experiences have you had that will make you a good teacher for my child?

I do touch on each of these three in the few minutes I have.  Which one should I focus on in the presentation and which ones should I leave to the handout I give each parent?

(I try not to just read off of the handout, I dread when a presenter does that to me. It is ok to add flavor or explanation to your handout, but I can read off of it just as well as the presenter)

Thanks for your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment